Tuesday 6 April 2010

Riding with Zebras

I was in the New Forest over the weekend and there were a lot of very wet and miserable looking donkeys, braying every now and again to show their displeasure in the weather.  I would have done the same as the rain was relentless.  The noise of the donkeys did take me back to Africa (the weather certainly did not!), as zebra calls are similar to that of donkeys.  But that is where the similarity ends.

Last time that I was in Zimbabwe I had an incredible experience of riding within a herd of zebra.  I was with a friend of mine who suggested that we went riding on her horses, just before my flight back to the UK.  I am not the best of riders but the idea of being out in the bush and seeing the wildlife from a zebra's perspective was an opportunity not to be missed.  We spent the morning wandering on horseback amongst herds of zebra which were unfazed by the presence of a human being - we were part of the horse and we were truly accepted into the herd.  I could smell the sweat of the zebras, hear the whinnying of the foals, watch them eating the foliage as I just sat at ease under the African sun as the world dawdled by.   At times we were so close to the zebras that I could count each individual eye lash.  A perfect end to a perfect trip.

Riding with zebras, better than walking with wet donkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment