Monday 6 September 2010

Birding in Africa

I am really excited as I have just got 'Roberts' Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa' through the post.  I can see your eyelids closing...

I was never really interested in birds until I went to Africa.  In the UK most of the birds are rather dull in comparison to their African cousins although at times those cousins do visit the UK but it seems that they have to possess a 'dull' passport to get here.  No, the African birds are gloriously coloured (like this white fronted bee eater), often have some really quirky nature to them and are easy to spot.  So after my first visit to Africa, many years ago, I got rather hooked on birding becoming a bit of a twitcher myself, and proud of it.

And most people who come on a Sense Africa trip also get the bug (or is it the bird?) and spend a lot of time pouring over bird books identifying all manner of birds around the water hole.  Best done with a gin and tonic too, if you want to take the more light hearted approach at birding.

So back to my new found acquisition, where I can listen to bird calls of every bird seen in Southern Africa, and a host of other useful information to marvel at. Twitcher signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment