Thursday 19 January 2012

At times it is Cold in Africa too...

I am often surprised to hear that people think it is always hot in Africa, this is far from the truth. It can get exceptionally cold at night and I have been pleasantly surprised to discover a hot water bottle in my bed while staying in one of the lodges in Swaziland. I have to admit, I was not expecting this, so it was rather a shock when I got into bed, I mean, there could have been a dangerous furry animal residing in my bed, admittedly unnaturally overheating to a deathly temperature and also inanimate.

Africa does have a winter as well, although maybe not the extreme temperatures that we are experiencing at the moment in the UK. But you do have to be smart when packing for a safari, especially when it is during the winter time, as it can be quite chilly whilst on a morning game drive.

I particularly remember a game drive in Botswana, this was around April time, when we were advised to dress warmly for the morning game drive. We were camping in Moremi Game Reserve which borders onto the Okavango Delta, and the temperature that night had been particularly cold, I'd even worn my woolly hat in bed. When I pitched up for the safari with woolly hat, fleeces and my sleeping bag, I did get rather a lot of strange looks and a few sniggers. However, I was the one laughing as I sat snug as a bug in my sleeping bag, nice and toasty warm, whilst the others braved the inclement temperature. It was only halfway through the game drive when I bravely emerged from my cocoon.

I enjoy the winter in Africa because this means cold nights, which makes sleeping easy, with cooler crisper days and bright blue skies – excellent for photography. Often it is shorts and t-shirt weather during the day, it's just shortened slightly.

My advice would be to make sure you are aware of the temperatures whilst you are away on holiday. A woolly hat is definitely advisable, along with a warm fleece for the evenings, and maybe some warmer trousers. Just in case there is a cold snap and you are caught unawares.

The best thing about the African winters is the chance to sit round an open fire, under the African stars, toasting your feet and listening to the noises of the African bush. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment