Monday 8 February 2010

African Honey Badger - The Most Ferocious Animal in Africa

I was driving back late last night from a conference when I saw a dead badger on the side of the road.  My heart always sags when I see once of these creatures as a result of road kill.  Having spent many a night following 'Boris' the badger during my radio-tracking days, I feel as if I have a bit of an affinity with them.  Well, I did spent every waking moment (or every night) with 'Boris' for 3 months, and I like to think that I got to know him quite well.  They are very gentle creatures.

This can not be said for their African cousins, the honey badger.  The honey badger is reputed to be, pound for pound, the most ferocious animal in Africa.  I was rather dubious about this wild statement.  They are not that large, seem to look pretty harmless and being quite secretive I suspected that they kept themselves to themselves and were therefore shy and retiring animals.  However, two sightings of these elusive creatures blew that theory out of the water.

The first was in Mana Pools in Zimbabwe, where I saw a pair of these unassuming animals rip through the kitchen of some unsuspecting campers.  The kitchen was an awning on the side of a camper van and these endearing badgers tore open tins of food with their teeth and claws, emptied out the cooler boxes, upturned the table with more food on it and even prised open a few bottles of beer.  I have to say that was rather delighted in their choice of victim to wreak carnage on.  These so called campers had brought a tv, a fridge (which hummed all night) and an enormous radio system into the quiet national park.  These items were no longer of use, the honey badgers had made sure of that, and the African bush was returned to the noise of its own making.

The second time was in Etosha National Park in Namibia.  This time I was travelling by myself.  I had set up camp - there was no one there at all, which in itself was fantastic, however there was no backup for   honey badger confrontation.  I had a succulent steak cooking on the braai (BBQ) and was relishing a cold beer when a honey badger appeared from behind, my steak being the lure.  Now nothing comes between me and my steak and I stood my ground.  But only for a short while until it bared its teeth and I decided it was best to have the car between myself and the badger.  There then ensued a comical 'Tom and Jerry' moment around the car, with me chasing the badger and the badger chasing me before it made off with my baked potato as a consolation prize.  Luckily it was not the steak, that was on still on the braai, but rather over done.

I concede, the honey badger is the most ferocious animal in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment