Tuesday 23 February 2010

A Sea of Sand Dunes in Sossusvlei

I have just got back from leading a trek in the Sahara in Morocco, where it did nothing but blow a gale.  So I spent most of the time with a scarf wrapped around my head and face, sunglasses on and fully covered from head to foot.  An odd experience since I was expecting blue skies, sunny days inducing heat exhaustion and cold nights so I could wear my down jacket.  None of that.  Instead we were against the elements and it was more of an endurance test.

I have spent time in the sand dunes of Sossusvlei in Namibia and these experiences have been the complete opposite to Morocco, it was what I had expected, and much more.  More than I expected as I was spell bound by the sea of sand dunes stretching out before me which constantly change with the winds rolling in from the west.  Dune 45, so called as it is 45km from Sesriem Valley at the park entrance, not very original I know, but even I would struggle to give names to all the dunes in the park, is the classic dune that we all imagine.  Beautifully curved so that the sun rises and sets on either side of its ridge, giving us those sought after photographs that we all want on our wish list.  All that is needed is a gazelle perched on the cusp of the dune, staring into the vast wilderness, to fulfill that ultimate vision.

Morocco was a memorable time, although a far cry from my favourite desert visit, but it will certainly not be the last.  I may just make sure that it is Sossusvlei in Namibia that I go to if I want to see more than 15m in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment