Monday 22 November 2010

Coca Cola and Communication

My brother Jason, had never been to Africa before, so the obvious solution was for him to come with me. This was a few years back when I was working for a gap year organisation, setting up conservation and community projects in Swaziland. He came out with me before my recce for the next expedition, and we had a two-week holiday – well a bit of a busman's holiday for me, but certainly a holiday for Jason. We had some memorable experiences; a full day by Mahlindza Dam watching the animals coming into drink, Jason spending a night snuggling up to some animal to keep warm in the night (whatever it was, it was on the other side of the tent and Jason had a good nights sleep) and the mist clearing giving the most spectacular view in Malolotja. But one of the funniest situations we had was a lesson in communication.

We decided to have lunch in Simunye Country Club – there is a swimming pool there which we were taking advantage of as it was extraordinarily hot that day. Before taking a dip, we decided to have a drink and Jason went to the bar to order them. A few minutes later the waiter came out with my Sprite and disappeared back into the bar area. Jason's Coke was not there. I was halfway through my Sprite before Jason queried the fact that his drink was missing. It was a hot day and he was parched.

"Not to worry", I said, and I went over to the bar to find out where his drink was.
"I was just wondering where our Coke was," I said.
"They're just making it now."
"They are just making it?"
"Yes, it will be ready in 20 min."
"A Coke takes 20 min to make?"
"Yes."
"Oh."

It then dawned on me what had happened. Jason had ordered a 'Coke' but the waiter had misheard and thought he had said 'cake'! I felt terrible, the kitchen staff were slaving away over an unwanted cake.

"What type of cake are they making?"
"Plain."
"Please could we have two slices of plain cake and also a Coca-Cola?"

Well, we couldn't really let the cake go to waste could we? And it was worth every minute of the 20 min wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment