Monday 28 March 2011

A Taste of Africa - Bobotie

This weekend I will be out on the hills in the Lake District checking up on students who are  practicing for Ten Tors and Gold Duke of Edinburgh. It will be good to be out in the fresh air.  However, sometimes camping food can not be that great and I know I will be craving healthy, wholesome food.

My great friend Ed Tuffin gave me this receipe and it is delicious, I am sure that I will be dreaming of it.  Ed is also accompanying me on Sense Africa's Rejuvenation Safari to South Africa in September providing more delicious receipes and gourmet meals to tantalsite our taste buds.

Try this Bobotie and tell me what you think. It is also cheap and cheerful, which is what we all like.

Chickpea and Lentil Bobotie with turmeric and cinnamon rice with toasted almonds.

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons- Olive oil
1 Large red onion, diced
1 Clove garlic, crushed
1 Large grated carrot
1 Large grated apple
1 Tin green lentils(250g)
1 Tin chickpeas (250g)
1 Teaspoon curry powder
1 Tsp  Ground coriander
1/2 Tsp Ground ginger
1 Tsp fresh or dried chopped mixed herbs
1 Tsp Turmeric
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Sugar
1/2 Tsp Fresh chopped red chilli or Cayenne pepper
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp black pepper
Juice and rind of 1 Lemon
2 Slices of white bread soaked in water,lightly squeezed and mashed
2 Bay leaves

Topping:
400 ml Greek or thick yoghurt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 Tsp salt, pinch of pepper

Rice:
250 grams rice
625 ml water
2 Cinnamon sticks
2 Tsp Turmeric
1 Tsp Salt
Handfull of toasted flaked Almonds

Method:
Heat oil in a pan and fry off onions and garlic. Add chickpeas and Lentils. After about 2 minutes add grated carrot and apple then add spices and continue cooking briefly to develop spice flavours.
Add lemon juice and zest, Bay leaf and the mashed bread mixture.
Spread the mixture out into an ovenproof dish.
Beat together the topping ingredients and pour onto the Bobotie. Bake in an oven at 190 degrees c (375 f)(Gas mark 5) for 35 minutes until golden brown and firm.
Put the rice, water, turmeric and cinnamon in a pan and boil until done. When cooked, drain rice well, remove cinnamon sticks and mix through the toasted almonds.
Spoon onto warmed plates with Bobotie and a big green salad!!!!

Now tell me that your mouth is not watering!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! That looks absolutely delicious. I can see why you would be dreaming of that while in the Lakes... I will think of you when I try it out and send you a text saying YUUUMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete