Tuesday 5 April 2011

A Roan Licked my Mirror

Whilst out in Swaziland I was in Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, enjoying the peace and tranquility of the reserve.  There is something about Mlilwane that makes me feel as if I have come home, it is a wonderful place where you can get away from everybody and take time out for yourself.

I was driving around the park with my friends Terry and Vicky, looking at the animals that were housed in the endangered breeding area.  Ted Reilly, who set up Mlilwane after recognised the demise of Swazilands' wildlife, is trying to re-introduce species that were once roaming wild in Swaziland.  We had already seen red duiker hopping amongst the undergrowth, watched sedentary eland and heard the booming calls of the blue crane.  But the most remembered sighting was of a roan antelope.

"Stop, stop, I'd like to take a photo", said Terry and I pulled the car over to watch the approaching roan.

Terry had his camera on zoom trying to focus on this particular animal, and it obliged by walking closer to us. And closer, and closer until the roan completely filled his view finder.  Terry took his camera away from his face only to realise that the roan was eye-balling him, only 1m away!  This did not stop the brazen animal, it leaned towards the open window and stuck its head right into the car and began to nibble on the mirror adjuster knob! I was speechless, until I realised that its horns could get caught inside the car. This could not only get messy but the rental car company would not be happy, let alone my bank balance.

With some verbal persuasion, the roan removed its head from our small mazda, licked the wing mirror as a passing shot and nonchalantly walked off to graze on more wholesome grass.

Terry never really got his award winning picture, he was too busy laughing.

Expect the unexpected in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment